Friday, November 2, 2007

Nizwa... you stole my heart

I spent the last week in Nizwa, Oman.. living with a new family, who turned out to be more amazing than I could ever imagine. We spent the week learning Arabic, traveling the mountains, visiting schools, dressing up, getting henna, eating the "true" traditional Omani way, learning about Islam, and even slaughtering a goat. All truly amazing... I already know I am going back before I leave in December. I can't leave the loving people and laid back character of this interior city without a longer goodbye.


The view on Jebal Shams

Still on Jebel Shams... overlooking "the Grand Canyon of Oman"

At Nizwa Technical College

Getting henna again at my Nizwa home. They are fabulous!

My Nizwa mom and aunt dressed me up in traditional Omani clothing

Walking along the falaj system in Jebal Akdar

Sunset at a farm in Nizwa

My little brothers (and sister in the background) holding a baby goat at the farm

Clouds, glorious clouds

My sisters in Nizwa- adorable and so funny
The older brothers in Nizwa.. preparing chicken for the big bbq on my last night

My little sister.... and the goat we just slaughtered. If you want to see how they slaughter a goat... I've got a video. Of the entire thing. Its crazy. But you know you want to watch too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chelsea

You should be a cultural anthroplogist but you won't listen to me.

Grandpa M